Times change and so do favorite pastimes and other activities. One never changed – I love to take photos.
I fell in love with photography at a young age. The first camera I remember was the Agfa Optima III, a hand me down, which is still in working order. My first SLR was an all manual RevueFlex AC2; it did not even have a battery. The physical size was small, comparable to my Fujufilm X-T1, nothing like it’s modern, bigger digital siblings.
While I still love photography my desire to carry a whole DSLR camera system has diminished over time, and not just somewhat. I love to take long walks, but do not enjoy to carry a heavier system. Not anymore. Lighter options have emerged.
These days smartphones have evolved to the point that the cameras are good enough to let us shoot anything in front of us (shoot with a camera, not a gun). I have an iPhone, and with iOS 10 (and later) I can select to use DNG files instead of just JPG. What a difference. Gone is the heavy-handed noise removal, yes, the price you pay is more noise. It opened up so many options. I’m sure some Android phones offer this as well. Good times for photography no matter what kind of device you like to use.
And then there is Fujifilm, producing wonderful lenses and cameras. For me, mirrorless it is. I love how these cameras look, feel and the image quality is terrific.
THE CURRENT GEAR LIST
Fujifilm X-E1* / X-T1
- Fujinon XF 18-55mm f2.8-4 R LM OIS
- Fujinon XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
- Fujinon XF 60mm f2.4 R Macro
- Fujinon 35mm f/1.4 XF R
- Fujinon 23mm f/1.4 XF R
- Rokinon 12mm f2.0 NCS CS
- Auto Revuenon MC 50mm f1.7
- Fujifilm Macro Extension Tube MCEX-11
- Lensbaby Composer Pro and the following optics and accessories: double glass, sweet 35, sweet 50, edge 80, macro kit and macro converters
* Converted to Infrared, Super Color IR, 590nm
- Nikon T5 Close Up Lens
- B+W Polarizer Filters
Other Hardware & Accessories
- Epson SureColor P600
- Epson Perfection V700 Photo
- Vanguard Alta Pro 264AT Aluminum Alloy Tripod
- Vanguard SBH-100 Ballhead (modified to use an Arca Swiss plate)
- Dot Line Adjustable Camera Platform (6.0″)
- Flashes: Olympus FL-50 Flash, Sunpak 383 Super Flash
Gear is fun, but my wallet thinks otherwise. Right now I’m in the happy state of mind that I don’t want new gear. Right now. Who knows what tomorrow brings.